I just put an old lady's maxi pad through the wash and all I can think is this is my life...

.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Education

Just to catch you up, I graduated from High School in 2003. I had Honours in approximately 1 course a year, never failed a course, and posted mediocre marks for Math and French. I graduated with my Bilingual Certificate because I passed two French courses each year that I was in high school. My french sucks, by the way. Moving on... I have an Early Childhood Education diploma which I received in 2006 with Honours and a 3.94 GPA or something equally as awesome sounding as that.

I have worked in daycares, worked as a Nanny/Au Pair, worked at a Nursing Home, and currently (when not on Maternity Leave) work in a Group Home for Adults with Special Needs. I enjoy my job but it's not something I want to do for the rest of my life. I have a 24 hour position which means I am guaranteed 24 hours of work a week and anything extra (up to 40 hours) comes in the form of open shifts which are given out in order of Seniority. Although I have been with my company for 3.5 years, I have only had a position (and therefore seniority) for 2 years. Needless to say, I'm at the bottom of the totum pole. Even if I did magically luck into a 40 hour position, I would be doing the exact same work. I really feel that at the age of 27, I am too young to be at my career peak - even if the money is good.

I've been thinking about going back to school. I always assumed that I would do it one day - perhaps when my kids were in school themselves. Maybe I would take Practical Nursing and get my LPN like my Aunt Jay. According to her, the work I did in the Nursing Home was exactly the type of work that she does - changing catheters and colostomy bags, injecting meds sub-cutaneously through a butterfly clip, filling out death certificates, etc.

Lately I've been thinking about getting a Business Degree from the local Community College. I could specialize in financial planning, or accounting perhaps. I do get so excited when our money situation changes and I get to re-do our budget. I also love helping others create budgets. It's pretty much my favorite thing to do so why not make it my chosen career.

So, I finally broke down and filled out an online application to the NSCC (Nova Scotia Community College). My first choice being Business Administration, followed by Continuing Care (the step below an LPN - the Practical Nursing course is full til Fall 2014). I stil have some doubts about whether this is what I really want to do or not. I'd like to have another baby in a year or two and this two year program could affect that. I'm also not sure if I'll want to spend so much time away from Little Miss Elle and Turkey Butt (school + work) or how my course load would affect my position at the Group Home. Also, do I want to take Business Administration or wait until 2014 and apply for Practical Nursing? If I decide to hold out for Practical Nursing, I'll have to upgrade a few courses through Adult High School I guess?!? I'm missing Grade 12 Math and need either Grade 12 Physics or Chemistry.

With so much to consider, why did I send in my application anyway? The way I see it, it's only a $25 application fee and even if I get accepted, I can always change my mind at a later time. At least this way, if I decide this Summer that I do indeed want to go back to school I will already be accepted into a program. Gahhh, so much to ponder and so much to discuss with Turkey Butt. Anyway, this is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Views