I just put an old lady's maxi pad through the wash and all I can think is this is my life...

.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Three Weeks With My Baby


At 10:55pm, my perfect little baby girl will 3 weeks old!! How the heck did that happen? I am honestly in awe of the fact that so much time has passed and I haven't done any irrevocable damage to my daughter. Well, at least not as far as I can tell!

It's amazing to me how quickly time flies when you're sleep deprived! Turkey Butt and I have devolopped a tag team approach when it comes to sleeping. One of us, usually him, takes baby duty for the first part of the evening (starting around 11pm) while the other holes up in the bedroom and catches up on some uninterrupted sleep. Then at sometime during the early morning hours (anywhere from 4:30 to 8:30) we switch. When the switch occurs typically depends on when Turkey Butt has to work. Baby duty, by the way, consists of diaper changes, feedings, sleeping on a make shift bed by the crib in the nursery, checking if the baby is still breathing, holding the sleeping baby because she refuses to sleep for more than 20 straight minutes in her crib, watching mind numbing amounts of YouTube videos while holding said sleeping baby, and fighting the urge to wake up your spouse early so that you can sleep in a real bed. Sounds like a pain in the butt, doesn't it? Whenever we explain it to people they, without fail, tell us about how they had the baby in their room or how they both got up with the baby - one doing diaper duty and one doing feeding duty. That's all well and good, and I'm glad it worked for them, but it didn't work for us. One night we really missed sleeping together so we both camped out on our makeshift bed by the crib. The problem with that? When the baby was up fussing, neither of us were getting any sleep. With Turkey Butt working 6 days a week and me being home all day with the babe, we couldn't both be completely sleep-deprived. I don't know, it works for us.

Now if only I could stop dreaming that the baby is in bed with me and about to suffocate! This dream occurs every time I go to sleep in our bedroom and it causes me to frantically tear through the bedding (or laundry on the bed) in search of my suffocating baby. Sometimes it's 15 minutes or more before I calmly remind myself that the baby is in her crib. Even then, I have to get up and go check on her in her crib to insure that she is really there and really breathing. Usually I wake up Turkey Butt in the process and I have to step over him to reach into the crib. One day during an afternoon nap I even imagined that I did find her in my bed and carried her (the invisible her) out to her crib and was shocked when I found the real baby was already asleep in the crib. But don't worry, I laid the invisible baby down in the crib right beside the real one and then went back to bed. Yup, Turkey Butt was a tad worried about my sanity after that one! Oh, and did I mention that these dreams occur on an hourly basis when I'm sleeping? Like last night, where I went to bed just before 11pm. Got up during the 11 o'clock hour, and the 12 o'clock hour and 1 and 2. Yeah... I think after that I might have actually fallen asleep til Turkey Butt woke me up to tag me in. But you get the picture. Welcome to parenthood!

This is my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Views