I just put an old lady's maxi pad through the wash and all I can think is this is my life...

.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

(Two) Book Review(s).



I've been slacking on my reviews. First up was Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. This travel/biographical book was split into 3 sections. The section on finding passion in Italy through food was AMAZING! Luckily Turkey Butt is a chef and makes AMAZING pasta because I craved it the entire time I was reading the book. The section on pursuing spiritual enlightenment in India was honestly very boring to me. I had a difficult time making it through it. But I was pleasantly surprised by her pursuit of a compromise between passion and spiritual enlightenment while she was writing about her time in Indonesia. Definitely gave me a positive outlook on the book as a whole.

This was the second book I've read by Elizabeth Gilbert and I'm very impressed. As we speak I'm working on a third book of her's, Committed.




Jon Krakauer ALWAYS impresses me and Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman was no different. Somehow Krakauer has this amazing sense of people and always picks truly amazing individuals to write about. Before reading this book, I had heard the tale of Pat Tillman, how he left his NFL career to fight for his country and lost his life in the process. That was literally all I knew. I didn't realize he died from friendly fire. I didn't realize the military committed a huge cover up about the details of his death because Pat had become the "poster boy" for the War on Terror. I didn't realize what an amazing individual Pat Tillman was. I was literally amazed to learn about his intelligence (graduated in 3.5 years, with honours from Arizona State University) and his loyalty (was offered a 5yr $9.6 million contract by the St. Louis Rams, but declined in order to stay with the Cardinals because they took a chance on him in the draft - for just over $500, 000 a year, the league minimum). What an amazing person!

Coming soon: more Elizabeth Gilbert, The Time Traveller's Wife, a novel from the Twilight series, another sports bio, and Kitchen Confidential! This is my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Views