I just put an old lady's maxi pad through the wash and all I can think is this is my life...

.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

As Promised...

I'm back again - two days in a row is a pretty good deal. Hopefully I can keep this up! It is such a nice release for me to just write out my thoughts and goings on - even if no one reads them.

As promised, I have a recipe to share with everyone. It might just be my favorite recipe and it's not even for a dessert! It's the recipe I use to make Brown Bread in my bread maker. So simple, yet so tasty! As a bit of an explanation for my American reader (Hi, Lisa!) - Brown Bread is an East Coast tradition. A bread made with molasses that is best served with baked beans. Perhaps you knew that already? I just know that when I asked for Brown Bread when I lived in B.C. I was always given Whole Wheat Bread which is SO not the same!

Machine Brown Bread
1 1/4 cup hot water
4 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp butter
1Tbsp white sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 rolled oats
3 cups flour
1 Tbsp quick rise yeast

As always with a breadmaker, you put the ingredients in in the order that they're listed on the recipe. When it comes time to add the yeast, I always make a little bowl in the flour with a spoon and pour it into there so it doesn't hit the moisture before it's supposed to. If you have a Sweet Bread setting on your breadmaker, use that. Mine doesn't have that setting so I bake it on the White Bread setting at 1 1/2lbs with a Medium crust. I only do that because I find that the amount of flour in my brown bread recipe is comparable to my machine's 1 1/2lb White Bread recipe. And, as a special touch, I always rub the top crust of my breads with butter or margarine when it is done cooking. The butter melts nicely over the top giving it a yummy flavour and I find it keeps the crust from getting hard. But that's just me!

Anyway, this is my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Views